TORONTO, April 30, 2020 /CNW/ – The National Media Awards Foundation (NMAF) is thrilled to present the 2020 Digital Publishing Awards nominees. The Digital Publishing Awards—now in its fifth year—recognize and promote the excellent work of Canadian digital publications and creators.
After receiving hundreds of submissions from 150 various publications, our panel of 75 dedicated volunteer judges have arrived at the 2020 nominees. These nominations are the result of a collaborative and rigorous judging process, made possible by the hard work of our esteemed jury members.
EMERGING EXCELLENCE AWARD
The emerging excellence award—which honours an individual whose early work in Canadian digital publishing demonstrates the utmost degree of craft and promise—nominees for 2020 are: Jane Gerster (Global News), Jane Lytvynenko (BuzzFeed Canada), and Lakshine Sathiyanathan (CBC Radio).
Each nominee has made an impact on their respective organizations through commitment to outstanding digital journalism. Learn more about their nominations.
GENERAL EXCELLENCE IN DIGITAL PUBLISHING AWARDS
The General Excellence awards recognize the publications that maximize the possibilities of digital publishing; these are the publications that succeed in fulfilling their editorial mandate and represent the highest of journalistic standards. These awards are presented in three divisions: small, medium, and large.
- Globe and Mail and CBC tie for 1st with 21 nominations (CBC nominations are across various divisions)
- Radio-Canada is in 3rd with 13 nominations across various divisions
- All receiving two nominations:
- “Voitures autonomes : qui sauver, qui sacrifier” (Marc Lajoie, Radio-Canada): Best Science and Technology Storytelling and Innovation in Digital Storytelling
- “Undeniable: Canada’s Changing Climate” (The Toronto Star): Best Digital Editorial Package (Staff & Contributors) and Best Digital Design (Cameron Tulk, Nathan Pilla, Mckenna Deighton, Andres Plana and Fadi Yaacoub)
- “Uncover: The Village” (CBC Podcasts): Best Podcast (Justin Ling, Jennifer Fowler, Erin Byrnes, Cesil Fernandes, Mitchell Stuart, Sarah Claydon, Christopher Oke) and Best Social Storytelling (Sarah Claydon, Evan Aagard)
- “Thunder Bay” (The Globe and Mail): Best Digital Editorial Package (Staff & Contributors) and Best News Coverage (Staff & Contributors)
- “Paving a New Road for Rap” (The Globe and Mail): Best Arts & Culture Storytelling (Michelle Siu) and Best Photo Storytelling (Michelle Siu, Jeremy Agius, Melissa Tait and Theresa Suzuki)
- “Are you a distracted driver? Probably. Here’s why” (The Globe and Mail): Best Science and Technology Storytelling (Oliver Moore, Laura Blenkinsop and Christopher Manza) and Innovation in Digital Storytelling (Laura Blenkinsop and Christopher Manza)
|The Globe and Mail||21|
A pioneer, a godsend, a Google Guy—a clear leader in the field of Canadian digital publishing whose creativity and dedication is inspiring. For this, the National Media Awards Foundation is proud to present Dmitry Beniaminov with the prestigious 2020 Digital Publishing Leadership Award. [Read more]
2020 DPA NOMINEES
See the complete list of categories and nominees.
CREDIT CHANGES: If you would like to make any credit changes, please send details to [email protected] before Monday, May 4, 2020.
CELEBRATION OF WINNERS
While we are looking forward to congratulating the winners of the 2020 Digital Publishing Awards, unfortunately due to COVID-19, there will not be an in-person awards Soirée this year. We invite members of the digital publishing community to take this brief survey to help us find an alternate solution.
The National Media Awards Foundation is incredibly grateful for the support of: Government of Canada, theOntario Arts Council, Ontario Creates, Reader’s Digest Foundation, andKCK Global. We are also thankful for the support of Cision, Magazines Canada, PUSH Media, Very Good StudiosandVividata.
Our sincerest thanks to this year’s judges, who graciously volunteered their time and expertise, evaluating the hundreds of entries submitted to this year’s competition.