- Growth of passenger car sales outpaces trucks and SUVs for the second month in a row
- Record January for Lexus luxury hybrid vehicle sales, up 536.4%
TORONTO, Ontario – February 1, 2019 After a record year in 2018, Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is carrying its sales momentum into 2019, reporting a best-ever January with 14,245 units sold, up 14.1%. Achieving a new January record, TCI’s Toyota division reported sales of 12,778 units sold, up 14.4%. Its Lexus division also reported a monthly sales record in January with 1,467 units sold, up 11.6%.
Passenger car sales growth outpace truck and SUV sales
For the second month in a row, the growth of passenger car sales outpaced the sales growth for trucks and SUVs. Led by the Corolla (up 24.4%), Camry (up 20.5%) and Lexus ES (up 66.7%), TCI reported sales of 4,651 cars, up 19.3% from January 2018.
Hybrid sales lead the charge for Lexus
As more and more Canadians turn to electrified vehicles, Lexus saw record luxury hybrid vehicle sales in January. Led by the all-new Lexus UX Hybrid (250 units sold), Lexus division reported its best January ever for hybrid sales with 350 units sold, up 536.4% compared to last January. Hybrid sales represented 23.9% of Lexus sales in January. Overall, TCI sold 1,321 hybrid vehicles in January, up 26.3% for a new monthly record.
- Corolla sales of 2,734 units, up 24.4% (new January record)
- Camry sales of 929 units, up 20.5%
- Lexus ES sales of 120 units, up 66.7%
- Yaris sales of 422 units, up 26.3%
- Prius sales (incl. Prius Prime) of 154 units, up 10%